Chiropractic and Your Kids: Screening for Scoliosis
If your child has been diagnosed with scoliosis, don't be alarmed. It is commonly seen in children, and is an abnormal sideways curve in the spine. If it's not caught early enough, scoliosis can become increasingly worse with age and can lead to significant back pain and even arthritis in the spine. We want your children to grow up strong and healthy, which is why it’s important for you to be aware of the signs and symptoms of scoliosis.
Checking Your Child's Spine
You should begin check your child's spine for scoliosis around the age of eight. It is possilbe to do this either at home or in our practice. If you choose the at-home option, follow these steps:
1. Instruct your child to bend over at the waist. Stand behind him or her and look at the curve of their spine. This is what is called Adam’s test for scoliosis. Their back should have a smooth curve. Also check their rib cage on both sides as they bend forward. If you notice that their rib cage is bulging more on one side than the other, notify their doctor.
2. Next, have your child stand up straight. Check for the following:
- Is one of their hips higher than the other?
- Is one shoulder higher than the other?
- Does the spine look curved?
If the answer to any of those questions was "yes", there may be an issue. If you believe you are seeing signs of scoliosis in your child, we are here to help. Remember that finding scoliosis early leads to better management and outcomes. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to check your child for scoliosis!