Do find yourself felling exhausted at the end of the day? Does your neck always hurt? Do you suffer from frequent headaches, and maybe even fibromyalgia? Consider this: your head posture could be the cause.
Forward Head Carriage 101:
If your head is positioned correctly, the opening to your ear should be centered over your shoulder. If the opening of your ear is off center and is located to the front of your shoulder, you have forward head posture, AKA forward head carriage. For every inch that your head is off center, your muscles are forced to work overtime, and extra unnecessary weight is exerted upon them. They are working extra hard, just to keep your head up!
Today's lifestyle is often a contributing factor to this condition. Office workers spend hours hunched over their desks, children spend too much time playing video games or watching TV, phones are often cradled between the ear and shoulder, and long periods of time spent driving can all cause forward head posture. If ignored, forward head posture and lead to disc compression and poor health.
How To Help Yourself
When it comes to correcting forward head posture, consider these tips:
- If you sit at desk, get up and stretch every 45 minutes.
- Be mindful of the time you spend playing video games or watching TV, and limit your and/or your children's time.
- Focus on your posture, and check that you are holding your head in an upright position and that you are sitting up straight.
- To maintain the proper curve in your cervical spine, sleep on a cervical pillow.
- See us for regular chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic care has proven to be effective in reversing forward head posture, reducing pain, and preventing further deterioration of the spine.
If you’re concerned about forward head posture and you suffer from back or neck pain, muscle weakness, headaches, or fatigue, contact us today for a consultation.