Outsmart Your Allergies
Allergy season is in full swing, and if you're one of the millions of allergy sufferers out there, you are feeling the negative effects! Seasonal allergies are symptoms due to your body not appropriately or readily adapting to its external environment.Exposure to dust, pollen, pet dander, grass, or mold can exacerbate your allergies and leave you feeling like a stuffy puffy mess.
So, what do allergies have to do with chiropractic? It's actually pretty simple. Your nervous system functions at its best when you have a well-adjusted spine. Therefore, regular chiropractic care will help with your allergy symptoms. But, there are a few additional steps you can take to alleviate your allergy symptoms.
- Avoid Prime Pollen Time: Pollen counts are at their highest between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m., and again at dusk.
- Wear protection. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes and lashes, and put on a hat, as hair is a pollen magnet, particularly if you put products in it that pollen can stick to). If you're extremely sensitive, consider wearing a dust-filtering mask to cover your mouth and nose.
- Stay Hydrated. If you become dehydrated, your body will signal your brain to produce histamine. This chemical leads to inflammation of the sinuses, throat, and lungs. An increase in water consumption will mean less histamine, which will create less inflammation.
- Keep Clean: Throughout the day, you come into contact with countless allergens. They stick to your hair, skin, and clothes. Make a point to jump in the shower and rinse off as soon as you get home from work, school, or spending time outdoors.
- Modify Your Diet: Foods like bread, pastas, rice, and dairy are pro-inflammatory. Avoiding them will help with your symptoms. Additionally, you should be eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, and these foods can help reduce allergy symptoms. Colorful fruits and veggies are high in antioxidants, which help to prevent the release of histamine.
The best way to help yourself this (and every) allergy season is with regular chiropractic adjustments. Your nervous system controls how you adapt to your external environment, so make sure to schedule regular visits to keep your spine subluxation free!