Remember when you were a kid, and your mom would tell you not to make funny faces, or your face would freeze like that? Okay, that one's not true, but she was right when she told you to sit up straight! In today's world, so many people are working sedentary jobs that require them to sit for hours on end. Whether you're sitting at your desk at work, at a baseball game, or in front of the TV at home, good posture is imperative...your spine's health depends on it! Furthermore, poor posture is a leading contributor to back pain.
Take a moment and check your posture right now.
- Are you sitting a chair that provides adequate lumbar support? Does the backrest fit the natural curve of your spine?
- Are your knees at a 90-degree angle and your feet flat on the ground?
- Are your shoulders, back and buttocks up against the backrest of your chair?
- Is your body weight distributed equally across both hips?
- Are your shoulders hunched in a forward position, or relaxed and even?
- Are your knees level with your hips?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, you are probably unknowingly exerting extra stress on your spine which will eventually lead to back pain.
Change Your Habits
It might seem difficult at first, but if you work at changing how you sit, you'll have great posture in no time! Part of the solutions is standing up to stretch every 45 minutes or so, as it is not a good idea to sit in the same position for too long. If you are a chronic sloucher, you are negatively effecting the discs between the vertebrae and may cause them to herniate or bulge. Take a short break to stand up, stretch your back and legs, or go for a short walk around the office.
If you are already suffering from back pain, give us a call. We can help you on the path towards a healthy spine!