Stretching: The Most Important Exercise
We all know that exercise is important, and we all also know that stretching is an important step before and after exercising. However, this doesn't mean that we all do it. If you can take the time to do anything, take the time to stretch. It's the most important exercise and requires no equipment and no special clothes.
Stretching increases flexibility, allows for easier movement and improves balance. It can also help to relieve low-back pain, reduce stiffness/soreness and, improves posture, agility and athletic performance. Stretching also promotes relaxation, reduces tension, improves circulation, reduces stress and fatigue, decreases the risk of injury and makes you feel better naturally.
5 Stretching Tips
Stretching regularly conditions your muscles for exercise, making your muscles function more efficiently. Here are 5 rules to keep in mind while stretching:
- Warm up your muscles before using them. Jog in place, do jumping jacks, ride a bike around the block.
- While stretching, never bounce or bob. Simply holding a stretch is effective and bouncing or bobbing can be lead to injuries.
- Perform each stretch in a slow, controlled manner and hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds.
- Stretches should be slightly uncomfortable. You should feel the stretch in the muscle, not in your joints. So pay attention while stretching and if you feel acute pain, stop and call us!
- Make sure you stretch both sides of your body or limb in the same way.
Wondering what else you can do to improve your health and wellness? Ask us during your next visit!